Are Dogs Allergic to Lilies? Exploring the Potential Dangers of Lily Exposure for Canines

By: Mo


Last updated:

Dogs are beloved pets that bring joy and companionship to millions of households around the world. However, as much as we love our furry friends, it’s important to remember that they can be sensitive to certain substances that are harmless to humans. One such substance is the lily flower, which can cause serious health problems for dogs if ingested.

Many people are surprised to learn that lilies are toxic to dogs, as they are often used in floral arrangements and are a common sight in gardens and parks. However, according to PetMD, several species of lilies, including the Easter lily, tiger lily, daylily, and stargazer lily, can cause serious health problems for dogs if ingested. Symptoms of lily poisoning in dogs can include vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy, and loss of appetite, and in severe cases, can lead to kidney failure and death.

In this article, we will explore the dangers of lilies for dogs in more detail, including which types of lilies are most toxic, how to recognize the symptoms of lily poisoning in dogs, and what to do if you suspect your dog has ingested a lily. We will also discuss some alternative flowers and plants that are safe for dogs and can be used to brighten up your home or garden without putting your furry friend at risk.

What are Lilies?

What are Lilies - Are Dogs Allergic to Lilies

Lilies are beautiful flowering plants that come in many different shapes, sizes, and colors. They are a popular choice for gardens, floral arrangements, and home decor due to their elegant appearance and sweet fragrance.

There are over 100 different species of lilies, including Asiatic, Oriental, and Trumpet lilies. Each species has its own unique characteristics, such as petal shape, color, and blooming time.

Lilies are typically grown from bulbs, which are planted in the fall and bloom in the spring or summer. They prefer well-draining soil and full sun to partial shade.

While lilies are beloved by many, they can be dangerous to certain animals, including dogs. Some species of lilies contain toxins that can cause serious health problems if ingested. In the next section, we will explore the potential risks of lilies for dogs.

Are Dogs Allergic to Lilies?

Are Dogs Allergic to Lilies

Lilies are beautiful flowers that can add a touch of elegance to any home or garden. However, pet owners need to be aware that certain types of lilies can be toxic to dogs. According to PetMD, lilies from the Lilium and Hemerocallis genera are the most dangerous for cats, but they can also be harmful to dogs.

The toxins in lilies can cause severe reactions in dogs, including vomiting, diarrhea, and even kidney failure. In some cases, ingestion of lilies can be fatal. If you suspect that your dog has ingested any part of a lily, it is important to seek veterinary care immediately.

It is also important to note that not all lilies are created equal when it comes to toxicity. Some lilies, like the peace lily, calla lily, Easter lily, and tiger lily, can cause incoordination, tremors, drooling, seizures, possible respiratory problems, depression, and coma in dogs, according to ABC Everyday.

As a responsible pet owner, it is best to avoid having lilies in your home or garden if you have dogs. If you receive a bouquet of flowers that contain lilies, make sure to remove them from the bouquet and dispose of them properly. Keep your dog away from any lilies that may be growing in your garden, and consider planting pet-friendly flowers instead.

Symptoms of Lily Toxicity in Dogs

Symptoms of Lily Toxicity in Dogs - Are Dogs Allergic to Lilies

Gastrointestinal Symptoms

The most common symptoms of lily toxicity in dogs are gastrointestinal in nature. These symptoms typically begin within two hours of ingestion and may include:

Renal Symptoms

Lilies can also cause significant damage to a dog’s kidneys. Renal symptoms may not appear until several days after ingestion and can include:

  • Increased thirst and urination
  • Decreased or absent urination
  • Dehydration
  • Weight loss

Cardiovascular Symptoms

Lilies can also affect a dog’s heart, leading to cardiovascular symptoms such as:

  • Irregular heartbeat
  • Low blood pressure
  • Cardiac arrest

Respiratory Symptoms

Ingestion of lilies can also cause respiratory symptoms such as:

Dermatological Symptoms

Finally, some dogs may experience dermatological symptoms after ingesting lilies. These symptoms can include:

Diagnosis and Treatment

Diagnosis and Treatment - Are Dogs Allergic to Lilies


If you suspect that your dog has ingested lilies, it is important to take them to a veterinarian immediately. The vet will perform a physical examination and ask about your dog’s symptoms. They may also perform blood tests and urinalysis to check for kidney damage. Additionally, the vet may perform an ultrasound or X-ray to check for blockages in the digestive system.

It is important to note that not all lily poisoning cases are easy to diagnose. According to PetMD, “the signs of kidney failure can be delayed for up to three days after ingestion, so early recognition and treatment are critical to the prognosis of the dog.”

Treatment options

If your dog has ingested lilies, the vet will likely induce vomiting to remove any remaining plant matter from the stomach. They may also administer activated charcoal to prevent further absorption of toxins into the bloodstream.

If your dog is showing signs of kidney damage, they may need to be hospitalized for supportive care. This may include intravenous fluids, medication to control vomiting and diarrhea, and monitoring of kidney function.

According to the American Kennel Club, “the prognosis for dogs that have ingested lilies is generally good if they receive prompt veterinary care.” However, it is important to note that the earlier the diagnosis and treatment, the better the chances of recovery.


Prevention - Are Dogs Allergic to Lilies

Preventing your dog from coming into contact with lilies is the best way to avoid allergic reactions. If you have lilies in your home or garden, keep them out of reach of your dog. If you receive a bouquet of flowers that includes lilies, remove them from the bouquet and dispose of them safely.

When walking your dog outside, keep an eye out for lilies in the area. If you see any, keep your dog on a leash and steer clear of them. It’s also a good idea to educate your friends and family about the dangers of lilies to dogs and ask them not to bring them into your home.

If you’re unsure whether a plant is toxic to dogs, consult the ASPCA’s list of toxic and non-toxic plants. This list can help you identify which plants to avoid and which are safe to have around your dog.

If you suspect that your dog has come into contact with lilies or any other toxic plant, seek veterinary care immediately. The sooner your dog receives treatment, the better the outcome is likely to be.

Before You Go

It is clear that lilies are poisonous to dogs and can cause severe harm if ingested. All parts of the lily plant are toxic to dogs, including flowers, leaves, stems, and bulbs. If your dog ingests any part of a lily, it can result in kidney failure and even death.

Symptoms of lily poisoning in dogs include vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy, loss of appetite, and increased thirst. If your dog has ingested any part of a lily, it is important to contact your veterinarian immediately for advice and treatment.

While there are some species of lilies that are considered “non-toxic,” they can still cause illness if ingested. It is important to keep all lilies out of reach of dogs and to be vigilant in identifying any potential sources of lily exposure.

Overall, it is best to err on the side of caution and avoid exposing your dog to lilies altogether. If you have lilies in your home or garden, be sure to keep them away from your dog and dispose of any fallen petals or leaves promptly. With proper care and attention, you can help keep your furry friend safe and healthy.