An Ultimate Guide: What Size Life Jacket For My Dog
Right from the fit to the dog’s size, there are several aspects of selecting the right life jacket.
You need to understand what size life jacket for my dog would be right. It is also essential to consider the durability and safety features of the vest.
Finding what size life jacket for my dog requires a lot of thinking and going through plenty of options before deciding.
If you are also struggling to get the right product, this article will undoubtedly help you make a well-informed decision.
Things to Consider For What Size Life Jacket For My Dog
If you want to let your bulldog swim freely in the pool rather than standing right by the stairs, you need to get him an ideal life jacket.
It will allow the dog to swim with ease and not worry about drowning.
A life jacket will provide them full support while they are in the waters and give complete confidence in their swimming skills.
For this, you need to be so sure about what you are choosing for your dog.
With the abundance of options available in the online and offline stores, there are chances that you might get confused.
You cannot certainly compromise on anything when it comes to your dog’s safety.
So how do you go about it to make things perfect?
To ease your hassle, I have prepared a list of a few factors that you must always consider while shopping for a dog’s life jacket.
Here you will find what size life jacket for my dog.
1. The Right Fit
There’s no use of a life jacket if it doesn’t fit your beloved dog properly. Though it might be tricky to find what size life jacket for my dog, it is an essential factor to consider.
Make sure to get the right fit by checking the adjustable straps feature to adjust around the neck. The adjustable straps will help in adjusting the jacket around the neck and work according to different sizes.
Check out the product specifications regarding the adjustable straps, or if you are in an offline store, try it on your dog.
2. The Ideal Size
What size life jacket for my dog? The life jackets for bulldogs are designed in different sizes according to their weight and height. So, you would not have a hard time picking the right size for the adorable little creatures. Sizes are majorly divided into two categories, for the narrow-hipped ones and the big-chested ones. So, when you are approaching a vest brand or an online site, make sure to check up the specifications for size. Measure the circumference, height, and weight of your dog to make a smart decision.
3. Safety Features
You cannot compromise on your dog’s safety when it comes to getting him into the pool. It is essential to pay extra attention to the safety part. Life jackets with telescopic neck and buckle straps are crucial features that will provide a secure grip on your dog. Check for the release buckle and straps that are great safety features ideal for kayaking and canoeing activities. The more safety features in the product, the better will be the protection. Look out for reflective strips to provide better visibility and a front flotation pad to keep your dog’s head above the water. A leash attachment hoop is a must-have feature to lift your dog out of the water.
4. Ease of Use
Apart from safety, you need to check for convenience and ease of use. As a bulldog owner, I would agree with the fact that they don’t come easy when you need to get a thing done. When considering what size life jacket for my dog, it is better to buy a life jacket that can be easily put on and taken off. The jacket has to go over the body and adjust around the neck with all the buckles clasping around the body. Make sure that your dog is comfortable wearing it. Always practice putting and taking off the jacket before getting into the water.
You cannot possibly buy anything that you see in the market. It is imperative to make sure that the said product is durable enough.
Buying life jackets every four months would be an expensive affair.
Instead, you can buy a good quality jacket that will stay for long.
The durability of a life jacket depends on its material and the quality of the strap. The jacket must be able to handle the weight for which it is made and even more massive than that without breaking.
You must always try different products before selecting the ideal one.
Top Rated Life Jackets For Your Bulldog
Now that you have understood the deciding factors to buy quality life jackets.
I have listed some of my favorite and worth-buying life jackets with their pros and cons that will help you better understand their quality.
Take a look and make a wise decision on what size life jacket for my dog.
One of the preferred life jackets that have quite a fan base among the dog owners is the Outward Hound. It is a high-quality life jacket that you can find at a pocket-friendly price.
Outward Hound is highly safe and reliable for your pet and their water adventures. You can get safety release buckles and straps that allow you to take off the vest from your pet easily. The additional flotation pad at the head is the major highlight of this product that sets it apart from its counterparts.
- This dog life jacket has great safety release buckles and straps for superior protection and convenience.
- It is designed in bright colors, including pink, orange, and clownfish patterns that offer better visibility without reflective straps at night.
- The jacket comes with an extra flotation pad to keep your dog’s head out of the water.
- It is available in different sizes, even for small-sized dogs.
- You need to purchase the vest according to the breed. Not all breeds can fit into the same vest.
Your dog life jacket must have proper buoyancy when it comes to superior protection.
Doggy Flotation Device is a great life jacket with fabulous buoyancy features.
It is an ideal pick for those who are looking for short length life jackets. The flotation percent of this vest is 50% more than any other jackets.
It comes with a grab handle to lift your dog from water along with neoprene straps and a zippered pocket to get an ergonomic fit.
You can avail of the product in different sizes and colors, including red and yellow, giving great reflective details. It is ideal for small dogs like bulldogs.
- The sturdy handle and the leash clip will allow you to get hold of your dog in the water. It can take the weight of dogs from 5 to 100 pounds.
- The wide straps give the perfect comfort for your dog. The neoprene is also sturdy that prevents the issue of tearing or ripping during extreme weather conditions.
- You don’t have to struggle in finding the right size; you just have to get the girth measurement and choose from the size XXS to XL.
- If you are making your dog wear the vest for long, monitor him/her throughout the endeavor.
- At times dogs find it irritating to wear it for a long time.
This full-body vest will not only protect your dog but will give them an adorable look as well.
It will support your dog both inside and outside the water by providing them with the maximum enjoyment of swimming.
The vest comes with a flexible dorsal fin that will look like a shark fin and allow you to handle your dog quickly.
With this supportive and superior quality vest, the swimming confidence of your dog will be magnanimously boosted.
With a little connection from the leash to the metal D ring, you can quickly change the water activities.
This vest is also made from heavy-duty fabric that will offer high-quality durability.
- It is a perfect fit for all kinds of water activities.
- The flexible dorsal fin is not only for decorative purposes but allows excellent handling.
- It strengthens the confidence of your bulldog and improves your swimming skills.
- You can have full control over your dog.
- The vest is said to last for years without any possible damage.
- You need to watch for your dog when he/she is using the vest the first time; they might not be entirely familiar.
It is one of the top-rated life jackets for dogs. K-9 Buoyant Float Coat is known for its excellent value and design.
The material is abrasion resistant that makes it highly durable in extreme conditions.
The reflective trim in the colors red, blue, and yellow makes it efficient for the nightwear as well.
If you want superior protection, there is also a Beacon LED light attached to the loop to get a better vision in the low lighting areas.
The vest is easy-to-clip and has a low-profile handle, making it easier for you to maneuver your dog in and out of the water.
The closed-cell panels are meant for better buoyancy and provide a comfortable swimming posture.
- It is easy to put on and pull off from your dog. The buckles and straps will provide a firm grip under the stomach.
- The interior buckles and straps provide better fitting.
- The lightweight built makes it super comfortable for your dog to wear inside the water.
- The vest is available in different sizes that you can choose from for your bulldog.
- It comes with hefty price tags compared to the other vests available in the market.
- It might not have additional features like the others.
I totally understand that safety is the prior concern for all the dog owners, and this vest will do justice to you.
Haocoo’s Safety Swimsuit is the perfect pick for you if you want superior protection for your dog.
The high-quality polyester, nylon, cotton, and mesh fabric make this vest completely durable.
The quick-drying capability is another major attraction of this vest that you will hardly find anywhere else.
It comes with a quick release and adjustable buckles and belts to offer your dog the comfort like nothing else.
The bright reflective strips increase visibility even in the low light condition.
The vest is available in different sizes, so it will be easier for you to make a selection.
- The jacket is easy to dry due to its effective drainage system. All the materials are of high quality and support durability.
- The handle on the top makes it easier for fast grabbing. The D-ring hook will work as a dog leash in the water.
- The front float prevents the dog’s head from drowning in the water.
- The vest is available in different sizes, so you can easily find one for your dog.
- It is mainly meant for small-sized dogs, so it might not be good for large-sized dogs.
The best life vest when it comes to buoyancy is hands down, the Sports Ripstop. It has passed the CA65 test that is conducted to test the durability and buoyancy of the life jacket. It will make your dog comfortable even if he/she wears it for the entire day.
The vest is built with a sporty design that gives a proper posture to your dog.
It is available in 7 different shades, each having reflective indicators for better exposure in the water and to get more visibility in the low light areas. The superior buoyancy will keep your dog out of the risk when he is inside the water.
If you are looking for maximum security and comfort for your dog, this life vest is everything you ever needed.
The vest is completely tested in the lab to ensure its safety, convenience, and ergonomic fit.
- It facilitates a natural swimming posture for your dog and supports the neck as well.
- With optimum floatation protection, the vest will give proper support while swimming naturally.
- The reflective trim will offer better visibility in the low light areas.
- You can easily carry them around and use them in emergency situations.
- The quick-release clasp and buckle give a comfortable and personalized fit that is hard to find in other vests.
- With the buckles beneath the stomach and a neck pad, your dog will get more confidence while swimming in this vest.
- If you stitch the vest, you might not be able to get the perfect fit. You would need to struggle to find the right size.
- There are chances that the fasteners may loosen up, so be careful and keep monitoring your dog.
If you find this post useful, inspiring? Please save THIS PIN to your Board on Pinterest 😍🐕
How should a life jacket fit a dog?
Considering what size life jacket for my dog? Then you should know that a life jacket must come over the body of the dog and fit around their neck. You first need to remove all the Velcro tabs, expand the straps on the jacket, and put it with your dog standing.
Now put the jacket and center it on the back. Start wrapping the jacket from the neck panels, belly buckle, and Velcro all the tabs again.
Tighten the strap to make sure it is the right fit. Just slip two fingers from the jacket’s insides to ensure a secure fit. Roll the loose belt and secure the rolled ends.
You are good to go for the next set of adventures with your dog in the waters.
Do dogs need life jackets?
It is a common question that every dog owner has in their mind, especially when they want to take them to swim. Breeds like bulldogs require a durable life jacket in order to swim in the water with currents, strong waves, etc.
You need to buy them life jackets before taking them to swim in a pool, lake, deep water, or a river. Dog life jackets are made explicitly for their complete safety to offer a secured grip over the body and the neck area. For some extra safety, you can go for features like reflective straps and floating pads.